Learn how to make simple vegan sushi! You’ll be wondering what you ever did without it. Perfect for travel, healthy for kids, and ideal for pretty much anyone, anywhere.
Sushi has always been a favorite meal of mine. And with this easy recipe, my family and I enjoy it pretty much every week. Given the amount we eat, it’s a good thing we learned to make sushi at home!
This is a basic recipe, just to get you started. It can be really versatile – you can switch out the veggies for mushrooms, Alfalfa sprouts, bell peppers, asparagus, or pretty much anything you want.
And the sushi rice can be swapped out for brown rice or even quinoa. Just make sure to use seasoned rice vinegar to make it sticky and add to the flavor.
I suggest you try making this recipe first, perfect your sushi-rolling skills, and play around with it after. There are so many delicious possibilities.
Along with being so versatile, sushi is a very nutritious meal. Packed with veggies, tofu for protein, and nori for iodine – it’s sure to meet everyone’s needs.
See the full recipe with links to the ingredients that I suggest. And you can watch this video for a demonstration on how to roll sushi and 2 other ways to serve it. Enjoy!
Which of the 3 styles do you prefer?? Try out the recipe and let me know!
Simple Vegan Sushi with Veggies and Tofu
- Rice cooker (or Instant Pot)
- Bamboo sushi rolling mat
- 1 tbsp canola or avocado oil
- 32 oz (2 packages) extra firm tofu, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 1 large English cucumber, julienned
- 3 medium-sized carrots, julienned
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 15 sheets nori
- Cook the rice per instructions on the package. If using sushi rice and an Instant Pot, place the rice and water in the pot, set to "Low" Rice setting and release manually once done. Use a plastic or wooden spatula to mix in the seasoned rice vinegar. Leave the lid off to allow the rice to cool slightly.
- To prepare the tofu, preheat oil on a nonstick skillet. Mix cornstarch with salt on a plate for dipping tofu in, set aside. Open and squeeze out excess water from the tofu. Slice into strips, thick enough so they can be handled without falling apart. Dip 2 sides of each strip into the cornstarch/salt mixture and place one of those coated sides down on the skillet. Repeat with all the pieces. Flip in a few minutes, once the edges are golden. Then remove from the skillet and allow to cool.
- To assemble the sushi rolls, have the cucumbers, carrots, and avocados cut. Wrap a bamboo sushi rolling mat in plastic. Also, prepare a small dish with water off to the side.
- Lay a nori sheet on the bamboo rolling mat, shiny side down. Spread a thin layer of rice, using a sturdy spatula to press the rice across half of the sheet. Lay out the tofu and veggies, staying away from the bottom edge (the part closest to you). Wet your fingers and run them along the top edge of nori so the sheet can secure closed. Roll using the bamboo mat, pressing everything firmly together (see video for a demonstration).
- Serve as full sushi rolls or slice into small sections. Prepare a dipping sauce with tamari and wasabi, depending on your spice preference. Enjoy!